As we prepare for the biggest feast of the year don't forget to spare a thought for the hundreds of animals and birds that live here in Henbury too. The cold, dark winter months make life tough for them but, with a little help from us, we can help make winter more tolerable.
Here's a fun way you can help the birds in your garden this winter. Children and Grandchildren alike love to get messy in the kitchen so roll their sleeves up and let them loose on this fat cake recipe. They'll be delighted to watch a host of hungry birds feasting away once it's hung in the garden.
What You Will Need:
- Large mixing bowl
- Empty, clean yoghurt pots
- Suet or Lard
- A mixture of Bird Seed, Currants, Cake Crumbs, Grated Cheese and Nuts
- Empty the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix well
- Melt the lard/suet in the saucepan
- Add the melted lard/suet to the dry mixture. You're looking for around 2 parts dry to 1 part fat as a ratio
- Stir well until the mixture sticks together
- Make a hole in the centre of the bottom of each yoghurt pot and thread through the twine
- Ensure that there is a good length of twine sticking out of the top of the yoghurt pot as this is what you will use to hang it in your garden
- Now pack the sticky mixture into the yoghurt pot
- Pop into the fridge overnight to set
- In the morning cut and peel the yoghurt pots from around the fat cakes
- Knot the twine at one end to stop it from feeding through the fat cake
- Your fat cakes are now ready to hang in your garden
Don't forget to leave fresh water for birds and a bowl of water at ground level for other creatures too. If your pond freezes over during the winter don't forget to make a hole so that animals can drink.
Any leftover fruit, bacon rind, stale cake etc is equally welcome scattered around the garden too.
We would love to hear your wildlife stories. You can contact us here.
More news from Henbury
Manchester Airport is 80 years oldHenbury Parish Council recently received a regular update from the airport with all the latest news. You can see all about their £1 billion transformation programme here. The work will continue until April 2024 and it will see Terminal 2 more than double in size to become the airport's main centre of gravity.The new...
Could you be a Magistrate?Magistrates play a vital role in the justice system, dealing with most criminal and a significant number of family court cases. Yet they are not legal professionals — they are volunteers who bring life experience and a community perspective to the courtroom. Though they always have the support of a legal expert alongside them, they are not themselves legal...
How's your internet connection?We know many residents in Henbury are frustrated by a poor or low-speed internet connection, even using the best fibre option currently available. In part this is caused by the fact that the nearest "fibre box" we can connect to currently is in Broken Cross. You may have seen Openreach vans in the area recently — they have been laying...
Church Hall Car Park