Giant Hogweed has been reported growing alongside the footpath from Henbury Rise to Whirley and has been reported to the authorities.. Giant hogweed produces sap that burns and blisters skin. . The toxic part is the sap but you can be burned by touching the leaf which has hairs that contain the sap. Even stroking a dog that has been in contact with the plant can give you burns.
Giant hogweed can grow up to five metres tall, often along footpaths and riverbanks. If the sap of the plant comes into contact with your skin, it can cause severe, painful burns and make your skin sensitive to strong sunlight.
What to do: If you touch a giant hogweed, cover the affected area and wash it with soap and water. The blisters heal very slowly and can develop into phytophotodermatitis, a type of skin rash which flares up in sunlight. If you feel unwell after contact with giant hogweed, speak to your doctor.